Thursday, March 8, 2012

For the Love of Solids2 - Given

The For the Love of Solids swap last year was so fun and gratifying, there wasn't really any doubt if I would participate again for round two. Obviously yes. And fresh from the Japanese x and + block swap, I was easily influenced  to go rogue and make some solid blocks. Playing with some photo graphics of blocks I'd made for the x and + swap helped me figure out a plan for a variation all my own.
I pretty much grabbed the majority of my solid stash and got to work.
After stitching up the first little 5" block, I was encouraged.
This was one project where my design wall was my friend.
Bit by bit it all came together.
When it came to quilting, I wanted to show off the small center blocks as much as possible. So after detailing each of the small blocks, I echo-quilted around the large '+', moving farther apart with each row. After much deliberation, I had succumbed to the temptation to use variegated thread - the wonderfully colorful King Tut "Joseph's Coat" by Superior Threads - and was really pleased with the results.
As a final touch, I made pieced binding, matching up with each color in the big block.
For my small project, I used solid scraps to make a Lined Drawstring Bag made from Jeni's pattern. (Love the chevron twill tape I found at Amy Dunn's pinked fabrics!)
So there's the saga of FTLOS2 - sure hope my partner is pleased!

Linking up with T.N.T. Thursday and Finish It Up Friday.

34 comments:

  1. Debbie that is just stunning! I love how you matched the binding up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that design! Your partner is very lucky and will love it I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fab (sorry I guessed so soon what you were up to, I guess I had x and + blocks on my mind too!) Love the wee bag too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, this is so cool! I'm sure your partner will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love what you've made here - such a lucky partner!! The bag is super cute too, I love pieced bags!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in awe!
    This quilt is absolutely amazing! What a creative design. And the pieced binding makes it perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks awesome! It took me a minute to get that it was a giant X+ block, too. Not enough coffee yet. VERY cool idea and VERY well executed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, can we just talk about the binding again? How on earth did you get all those seams to match up? And at the correct angles, too! Fabulous! You've outdone yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, like Tina said- that binging is INCREDIBLE!!! WOWZERS!! I love these projects- your partner will go nuts :) Have a great day and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in awe of your binding. It looks fantastic! The bag is super cute also!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this quilt and the bag as well. I do agree about the binding too, but the quilt itself is wonderful. Think about what it would look like in full size on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. practically perfect in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome awesome awesome, I love seeing it in all of its quilty and rainbowy glory!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How could she not be - the package is uber amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my goodness, Debbie! It looks stunning, and that binding!! Seriously, amazing. You have one really lucky partner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie! This is GENIUS! I can't tell you how much I love it! You took one of my favorite blocks and gave it such a creative, fun twist. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so awesome! I haven't seen the x+ block done in solids before but it's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow! This is gorgeous. I want to do those blocks one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  19. Deb, you're so innovative! I love this so much, and that binding--how did you manage that?? You're a superstar swapper.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't made these blocks yet but I love them - how clever of you to match the binding too! Fingers crossed that I am your partner:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so awesome!! And I absolutely love the way you did the pieced binding to match. Wow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Debbie this is incredible!! Love the design and the solids look fab. The bag is too cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just found you on Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday link. Love the solids in your quilt. Amy from www.craftyshenanigans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow! Those colors are stunning! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love, love those solids! And the little bag is super cute. How can your partner not be please?!?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just amazing! Solids are SO much fun! Smiles~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! That is completely fantastic! Way to go - I'm sure your partner is going to be over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I want to make this now---the colors and that thread---oooohweee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic!! This so makes me want to do an all-solid quilt. And matching up the binding was above and beyond. It looks amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is amazing! I can't imagine matching that pieced binding. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is such a unique spin on this block and I love the quilting you did! I'm sure your partner will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a great design! So versatile.....definitely on my to-do list!!

    ReplyDelete