Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Tuesday at the Table

Having baked the pecan pie and the cornbread for the dressing the night before, I got to the kitchen Thanksgiving morning thinking I had a good start on the day. Till I reread the dressing recipe which said to cut the cornbread and French bread into cubes and let it dry on trays for 24 hours. Oops. So I got on the web to double-check what I thought would be a good substitute for air-drying ... pop in a 250-degree oven for 20 minutes or so. But what I found really entertaining was the discussion on the topic I found at Serious Eats. After a dozen or more comments, the person who started the conversation said, "I just realized how nutty it seems to have started a post, semi-freaked out, over the best way to get bread stale." Uh, righto.

So the point is, yes it's great to make things from scratch when you can and if you enjoy it. You know I often do. But what's really important is sharing good food around the table. Yeah my family is inclined to try a new recipe, make the pie from the vegetable up, and stand at Grandma's elbow as she makes her awesome gravy again. But it's that gathering, that sharing conversation and a meal that really sticks with you, binds you together, and sends you out truly nourished and ready to face another day. Do it. It's worth it.

Meanwhile, a quick report back from a recent post - The Pioneer Woman's Thanksgiving Stuffing recipe that I tried is definitely a keeper, and will be my 'go-to' dressing recipe from now on! Mom got the idea from food TV to bake the dressing in muffin tins, and that went over really well with our crowd, so I'll be doing that again too. Love when something new is a success.

As for the monthly linky, it ends Friday night. Remember that Jennifer of knotted thread has generously offered a bundle of fat-quarters from Joel Dewberry's Notting Hill collection. That's 12 FQ's in the colorway of your choice! So join in and link up here by midnight PST on November 30 - a recipe, an experience in the kitchen, a project for your table or kitchen, a recap of your Thanksgiving meal . . . and I'll choose a random winner from the link-ups this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. I knew there was a reason why I was feeling that my runner needed to be finished soon. I will keep working on it, maybe it will be a Friday finish? I toast the bread under the broiler for my stuffing, it takes 1 - 2 minutes early in the morning while I chop the vegetables I add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed by your talents and skills! I remember my mother drying the bread for stuffing. In fact, everything my mother did for Thanksgiving dinner was very detailed. I think I missed out on that gene. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove stuffing. Probably my favourite part of a turkey dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea regarding the stuffing. Glad to know PW's was a keeper so I'll try it myself next year. I agree that the best thing is getting together and having that meal, sharing the conversation and taking it with you out into the world. :)

    ReplyDelete