Tuesday, September 20, 2016

transition


Nearly every time I read through a new Bee Sewcial challenge, my own commentary comes unbidden .... "yikes" or "oh dear," even "oh my goodness." I close the Flickr discussion and let the whole thing simmer for a while, until eventually I decide the time to face it has arrived.

The theme Anne/@playcrafts chose for us this month was "transitions," telling us "transitions could be captured by color, shapes, scale, quantity, or whatever else you can think of. If you’ve been through a transition and you want to make something that reflects that in some way, please do so." What came to my mind were the emotions one may feel during a time of transition, and I chose to express that through color, and in the 'order' of the scrappy strips I created. Here's the description I posted on Instagram: "From the left, picture life as you knew it. Then moving to the right, the confusion (sometimes despair?), then a time of adjustment with some hope peeking though, and finally joy in the new place....a different place for sure, but still good." 

Crazy, but I kind of got emotionally involved with this block. And considering Anne prefers weird block sizes, mine measuring 14" x 23"ish when my 'story' ended seemed providential. Whew. I survived to sew another day.

19 comments:

  1. This speaks to me in so many ways, Debbie. It's fantastic. Thank you for sharing the story behind your lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the story told in this block - I can see exactly what you mean. Great idea for a personal block from each person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing your emotions in this block. I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While this block is emotionally fraught, it is filled with beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely relate to the transition you describe, and the piecing captures it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You captured the theme perfectly in this block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy hearing the story behind your blocks. You captured the idea of Anne's challenge and totally achieved what you described!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this transition from "usual" life into the chaotic feelings that seem to appear in times of change...lovely choices of color to express that....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. This bit: "a time of adjustment with some hope peeking though" is what makes this so wonderful. LOVE how you reintroduced the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This block is pure genius! You have put to fabric the very essence of transition. And yes, I've been there, slowly getting back to the "hope peeking through" part. I really appreciate that you are sharing your challenges. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how this improv block feels and how it transitions from dark to light to dark again, very calming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this so much, Debbie! You captured the idea of transitions in such a beautiful and moving way. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a lovely illustration of abrupt change followed by a gradual return to full colour. Well done! This is going to contribute to an amazing quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful interpretation. I can identify with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you play with your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really liked reading your thought process with this one. Also glad to hear that a design does not just pop into your head and that you have to let it simmer....that gives me hope for my own projects, that sometimes an idea needs to brew!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved the picture then when I read your description I loved it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have done an amazing job with this block - you managed to capture those "feelings" perfectly! And I can totally relate - transitions aren't easy and can be grey and dark, but when you see the hope peeking through - wow. I just love this block!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can only echo what others have already said! You certainly nailed it! And it is pretty, too...bonus points😉

    ReplyDelete