Friday, December 2, 2016

Handmade Giving

Ages ago when the kids were young, one of our many Christmas traditions centered around shopping. Hubby and I took the first Friday of December off work and went Christmas shopping for the kids and the rest of the family, then on Saturday we'd take the kids with us, giving them the opportunity do their shopping for each other and for us. That was all alot of fun, gave us a good start on the holiday cheer, and considering I've always worked at jobs where December was THE busiest month of the year, it became a survival tool.

So the kids are grown and gone now, but hubby and I have continued the first Friday tradition. We're actually postponing till Monday this year, but the first Friday - today - still feels like the beginning of the season to me. Which means .... I'm thinking about Christmas sewing! I have exactly three handmade gifts on my list to make, not counting gift bags. But I can guarantee you, I'll have brainstorms between now and then and undoubtedly will be sewing to the last minute.

So obviously, I keenly peruse the lists of handmade gifts that have begun to surface. Here's three that I especially enjoyed:
That said, I rounded up my own short-list of favorite sewn gifts - all of which I've made more than once with great success - and all of which are pretty quick. [read: can nearly be made on a whim, which is often my holiday sewing modus operandi]. Take a look....














So are you a frenetic holiday sewer like me? Even if not, I'd love to hear what your handmade plans are {if you can share them}, or what have been some of your favorite gifts to make for Christmas?

7 comments:

  1. yup, I'm the same. wasn't planning to do much holiday sewing this year but now the ideas are popping into my head! I love to make hostess gifts when we go to parties, Christmas mini quilts, add patchwork decorations to remade dishtowels (a really quick project!), mug rugs with starbucks gift cards....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tradition! Love your projects and the links to so many other Christmas gifts to make. If possible, I try not to have last minute gifts to make in the month of December. I still sew a lot, but not under pressure, if possible. Do you hear the 'if possible' :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved that table runner by Svetlana and always swear I will make it!! Maybe this is the year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie and thank you for sharing these tutorial! I like everyone and will sure make some! Happy weekend! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first year in many that I won't be making gift at all. With the exception of our guild secret santa gift. I figured it was time to give my 'people' a break this year, but next year all bets are off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I am doing some last minute Christmas sewing! It shouldn't surprise me, but again, the holiday has snuck up on me! Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your blog and all that comes in it, you send me all over the place and I love it and learn so much
    Happy Xmas and New Year to you and Yours
    G

    ReplyDelete