Friday, October 20, 2017

Small Tokens

Well I'm on retreat for a few days, and one of the traditions of the Basket Case Quilters is bringing little gifts for each other....

Remember when I made an Apple Core Mini a while back? Soon after, I realized that Pen + Paper Patterns also offered an add-on variation named Clementine. I knew right off that it would be a perfect gift for my friend Joan/@arnajoanwhite, who is hostess of our retreat and happens to live in a sunny California city known for its orange groves.


I used the same Indigo Yarn Died Essex, and because it worked so well before, stuck with an uneven grid quilting, only this time on the diagonal. Rather than adding a contrast snippet in the binding, I made it chunky this time, finishing at 1" wide.



I gotta say, these small projects are such fun, don't you agree?



For Sharon/@redapplestitches, I made two red potholders, based on the Spiderweb Potholders Tutorial by Julie/Jaybird Quilts. After making so many Log Cabin Hexi Potholders, I really liked the method of top-stitching the hexagons, rather than binding them like Julie does - totally personal preference.



I also cut my strips a tad wider than the tutorial - 1 3/4" rather than 1 1/2" - in an attempt to make sure they were generously sized. I think I may have overdone it, but they're bound to be more than useful.


So back to sewing.... and sewing.... and sewing.

9 comments:

  1. You made nice presents for your friends. I can´t wait to see what you will create at the retreat.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun time!
    Nice gifts, I do a lot of cooking/baking pot holders are
    precious to me and red is a great color in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that chunky binding! Do you have a tutorial for it or would you mind telling us what needs to be done differently than a standard binding?

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy retreating! what lovely gifts. I do love that orange mini quilt! too cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful gifts! And I love that chunky binding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are going to love them! Have fun on your retreat:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely! These small projects are very gratifying. Enjoy the retreat Debbie!

    ReplyDelete