Friday, December 22, 2017

Make, Making, Made

Feeling pretty in control of all the Christmas prep by last Sunday, I thought I just might have time to whip up some zip pouches for my coworkers.

First up was a tutorial I'd been wanting to try, the Boxy Pouch by Svetlana/s.o.t.a.k handmade. I opted for a whimsical bee print from Laurie Wisbrun's Bright and Buzzy line. It's an older one that I think was waiting in the ole stash just for this time. I copied the use of the black and white stripes from Svetlana, and I think it makes the pouch.



Then there were a couple where I kept the shape simple. The first got a strip of contrasting fabric, and one of my leather labels....



and one with what to me seemed a Scandinavian-inspired design that suited the recipient.





And then two Color Block Pouches, also a s.o.t.a.k handmade tutorial, which I made with shot cotton. For some reason, I think this pouch design and the shot cotton really pair well together, which is why I've used this combo several times before. [And I just now noticed that I flipped the front panel 180-degrees on one of these.... oops!]





All of the flat pouches were made with SF101 interfacing (the boxy pouch got fusible fleece), metal zippers from Zipit, and either suede or deerskin lacing pulls.



Happily, all were well-received when they were gifted yesterday. Small makes, they allowed me a little sewing time during a busy season, while letting me share the gift of handmade. Oh yeah.

9 comments:

  1. Giving a handmade gift always makes me feel so good, especially when they are well received. Beautiful makes, all, and I have a feeling you matched each to their recipients with care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! If I am reading the instructions correctly, the inside (end) seams on the boxy pouch are enclosed? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to start now ... for 2018. I had such big plans and then suddenly it was
    December. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They’re all adorable Debbie! I love the fabric in the bee pouch, and the simple graphic design of the colour block ones! And the leather label is very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful makes! Those bees are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made a really nice batch of gifts. Such wonderful finishing details!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must say you have some lucky co-workers! They are all beautiful. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some pretty gifts you made. I especially love the bee pouch and the color block ones :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete